The monthly Calendar pages for the liturgical year 2021-22 are now uploaded onto the Liturgy Office website
For those who interested by such things there is the coincidence of a pair of liturgical dates which has not happened since the revision of the Calendar after the Second Vatican Council and was not foreseen in the norms for calendars. In 2022 the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus falls on Friday 24 June which is usually the Solemnity of the Nativity of St John the Baptist. The Congregation for Divine Worship has issued guidance and the Sacred Heart will be celebrated on Friday 24 and the Nativity of St John the Baptist is transferred to Thursday 23 June. Further details can be found in the annual Calendar Notes. There are also details there of what is done in 2022 where a Solemnity is celebrated on a Saturday for Evening Prayer and Mass in the evening.
A developing feature of the website are the Sanctoral pages which provide information about the celebration of the Proper of Saints. Included here are the details, and where available texts, for new celebrations which have been added to the Calendar. A number of celebrations were added recently and links to them are included in the monthly pages. These include:
- St Gregory of Narek, Abbot and Doctor of the Church, Optional Memorial, 27 February
- St John of Avila, Priest and Doctor of the Church, Optional Memorial, 10 May
- St Hildegard of Bingen, Virgin and Doctor of the Church, Optional Memorial, 17 September
- St Faustina Kowalska, Virgin, Optional Memorial, 5 October
- Sts Mary, Martha and Lazarus, Memorial, 29 July
In addition approved English texts are available for:
- St Mary Magdalene, Feast, 22 July – Preface
- St John XXIII, Pope, 11 October
- St John Paul II, Pope, 22 October
The Sanctoral section is work in progress. It will include additional material as it becomes available but the majority of the celebrations will not be considered until after the Lectionary is published.