Following the funeral of a Pope it is the custom that nine days (Novemdiales) of official mourning are marked in Rome and throughout the Church.
In addition to the celebration of Mass, Bishops may encourage for the intention of his soul:
- The celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours,
- Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and other devotions,
- Opportunities to learn and reflect on the writings of Pope Benedict,
- Works of mercy and care for the poor and most vulnerable.
- The nine days may also be observed with a Novena of prayer.
Prayers are taken from the Roman Missal, except where indicated. The scripture readings include those chosen for the Funeral of Pope Benedict.