General Instruction of the Roman Missal
Opportunities & Challenges
The publication of the General Instruction and Celebrating the Mass offers the opportunity to address many aspects of liturgical celebration.
This series of handouts highlight a number of these. They follow a common pattern: a quotation from the General Instruction and reference to other relevant paragraphs in the General Instruction, Celebrating the Mass and other recent Church documents; some questions to prompt thinking, and some practical suggestions about good practice. The second side offers a common process for exploring the issues.
It is not suggested that any groups works their way through this whole set of Issues sheets. Rather the sheets are a resource for when a group has identified a particular matter which they wish to address. For many communities this will be something that occurs after they have begun with the general liturgical formation offered by With Hearts and Minds and In Communion with Christ.
On this page all of the sheets are listed and can be downloaded directly as pdfs (A zip file is provided for each category). Further information and details of related documents is also provided.
- List of handouts (pdf)
- Participating in the Liturgy of the Word
- Preparing a reading
- Preparing a homily
- Preparing the Prayer of the Faithful
- Participating in the Liturgy of the Eucharist
- Preparation of the Gifts
- The Sunday Collections
- Praying the Eucharistic Prayer
- Choosing a Eucharistic Prayer
- Communion Procession
- Breaking the Bread
- Communion under Both Kinds
- Use of Tabernacle
- Lay Ministry
- Collaborative ministry
- Basic Liturgical formation
- Formation for the Assembly
- Basic formation for ministry
- Respecting the text/knowing the Missal
- Making the connections: Liturgy for life/catechesis/homily
- Liturgy Preparation
- ‘It’s not just about us’ — Liturgy as Catholic, Cosmic & Eschatological
- Appropriate Adaptation of the Liturgy — for celebrations with schools, young people etc.
- Liturgy and issues of Inclusion/Exclusion: children; ecumenism; other faiths (Participation)
- Quality/integrity of Symbols:
- Music and the Mass
- Flowers and Decoration